is The Housemaid by Freida McFadden DC Approved?
THE DC VERDICT
The Housemaid
![]() |
| Click To Shop |
Genre: Psychological Thriller
Release: 2022
Length: 300 pages (approx.)
Will this great read be DC approved?
I had recently found myself travelling through London, Heathrow back to work. A striking thought ran through my mind on a 3 hour lay over, sick of my phone charge running out quickly while I travel - I decided it was time to dive back into a hardcore physical book!
Upon entering the book store in the airport, I scanned a few books and some intrigued me. However, as soon as I picked up The Housemaid by Frieda McFadden - my fate was set! Reading the first page (highly recommended when purchasing a new book) I was hooked!
So how did it go?
The Premise
A woman down on her luck takes a live-in housekeeping job for a wealthy family.
The house is beautiful. The salary is generous.
The attic bedroom locks from the outside.
What begins as opportunity slowly curdles into something far more unsettling.
The Read

Some knock politely.
The Housemaid kicks the door in.
From the first chapter, this story reads like a secret you’re not supposed to know — and that’s exactly why you can’t stop turning the pages.
Freida McFadden writes with clean precision. There’s no unnecessary ornament. No clutter. The prose flows effortlessly, making it dangerously easy to fall straight into the world without friction.
And the characters? Vivid. Unnervingly so.
You don’t just read about them — you see them. You hear the tone shifts. You feel the loaded pauses in conversation. The tension sits quietly in the room like an uninvited guest. Every glance feels intentional. Every interaction carries weight.
What impressed me most is how easy it is to return to.
Put it down for a few days. Pick it back up. You’re instantly back inside that house. No recalibration needed. That’s strong structural control. That’s pacing done right.
The chapters are tight. The cliffhangers are surgical. Just enough to make you say, “One more.”
And suddenly it’s 1:37am.
Why It Works
Addictive pacing
Crystal-clear character visualisation
Sharp, uncluttered prose
Escalating psychological tension
No wasted pages
The DC Breakdown
Pacing: 9.5/10
Characters: 9/10
Atmosphere: 9/10
Twist Impact: 9/10
Re-readability: High
Final Verdict
Some thrillers try too hard to be clever.
This one simply is.
Cinematic. Claustrophobic. Compulsively readable.
🏛 DC APPROVED. 100%.


LOVE THIS ONE
ReplyDeleteIm addicted
ReplyDeleteFirst book in a while that i couldn't put down! So glad I came across it
ReplyDelete